Stepping into the Light
Bible Study: God's Design for Marriage
God's Design For Marriage
To build a beautiful, satisfying marriage we need a design and blueprint, just as we do when building a home or office building. God, our Creator, shows us His plans for marriage in this section of Genesis.
1. What emotions do the words oneness and companionship bring to your mind?
3. God declares all he has created is very good (Genesis 1:31). How can this help you to respect the uniqueness of being male or female?
6. Express the man's reaction to the woman in your own words (Genesis 2:23).
7. What does Genesis 2:24 teach about the priorities, permanence and exclusiveness of marriage?
8. God created marriage primarily to meet our need for companionship. How might a child or a parent interfere that purpose?
9. Why was there no shame or self-consciousness between man and his wife (Genesis 2:25)?
Why do you think this fact is noted here?
10. How has this passage helped you to understand God's purposes for marriage?
11. At your present stage in life, what steps could you take to ensure that these purposes are fulfilled?
What the Bible says about Marriage
Marriage is God's idea
Commitment is essential to a successful marriage
Romance is important
Marriage holds times of great joy
Marriage creates the best environment for raising children
Unfaithfulness breaks the bond of trust, the foundation of all relationships
Marriage is permanent
Ideally, only death should dissolve marriage
Marriage is based on the principled practice of love, not on feelings
Marriage is a living symbol of Christ and the church
Marriage is good and honorable